I bought this coat a couple of years ago in a thrift store, and even though I really like the fabric and color, the coat just didn’t seem to fit me right. But I just never wanted to get rid of it, because it is so pretty :)
So I decided to see what else I could make of it. I stared at it for a (very) long time, and then realized that it could easily be turned into a cape coat.
I googled a lot of cape coats, and in the end decided to just give it try!
I am very happy with how it turned out, and love that I can still wear my precious coat but just in a different way!
I made a DIY of it for you, I hope that it makes enough sense. It was really a bit of an experiment, so please let me know if you have any questions!
1. Open up the arm seem en the side seem, like shown in picture 1.
2. Lay everything flat like in the picture and use pins to keep it all together. (just sew everything together, we will work on the armholes later)
3. Sew everything together.
4. Cut the bottom part to make it all even.
5. Put the cap on and decide where you want your armholes to be. Open a part of the seem and fold about an inch of fabric to the inside. Sew the armhole.
6. Finish the bottom part by folding a part to the inside and sew it.
Heel mooi! Staat je erg goed!
I absolutely love this! I posted your top photo and a link back to you on trueblue. I paired it with Rachel Zoe’s Fall 2013 cape – but I like your rendition better :)
Thank you so much for posting it! I love the combo of my coat and the one from Rachel Zoe :)
So cute! Thanks for sharing.
Thank you! And your welcome;)
Love, love, love! Now I’m wishing for cold weather :-)
Thank you! And if you like cold weather, you should come to my city it’s still freezing cold here :)
really great idea. thank you for sharing! :)
Thank you Jen!
I never saw a cape coat being made out of a normal coat before. What a fun idea!