Bread that tastes like cake and is also sugar free? Yes please! This banana bread recipe will be the perfect solution to those quick mornings when there is no time for breakfast or late afternoon cravings when the cookie jar is starting to look way too tempting!
I am not a fan of cooking, which means that eating healthy has always been a problem for me. So I am slowly trying to come up with alternatives to at least eat healthy during the day.
My mornings usually start with a homemade smoothie or a quick and easy banana pancake. But what about those cravings during the day? Or the mornings where there simply is no time to make a smoothie or pancake?
Solution: Banana Bread!
I still don’t get why I haven’t thought of this before, because it is:
– ‘healthy’: there are mixed nuts in this bread and it is sugar-free, etc. (I guess eating an apple would be considered more healthy, but to me this is already a great improvement!:)
– Perfect for eating breakfast on the go.
– Adjustable for vegans: substitute the eggs for soy yoghurt and the honey for agave syrup.
– Budget friendly, use trail mix instead of expensive fancy nuts.
– Time friendly, I usually slice the bread and store it in the freezer. This way I only have to make a bread about once every 2/3 weeks.
Did I get you excited yet?! Read the full recipe and instructions below:
- 3 Medium sized ripe bananas
- 100 grams Oats
- 100 grams Flour
- 3 Eggs (or 3/4 tbsp of soy yoghurt for vegans)
- 3 tbsp Coconutoil
- 3 tbsp Honey (or agave syrup for vegans)
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Handfuls of mixed nuts
– Preheat the oven to 175 degrees.
– In a bowl, mash the three bananas with a fork.
– Add three tablespoons of coconut oil to the mashed bananas.
– Add three tablespoons of honey to the mashed bananas.
– In a separate bowl, mix all of the dry ingredients: 100 grams of flour, 100 grams of oats, 2 teaspoons of baking powder and 1 teaspoon of cinnamon.
– With a sharp knife, chop the 2/3 of the nuts.
– Add the chopped nuts to the bowl with the dry ingredients.
– Add the wet ingredients to the large bowl with the dry ingredients and mix them with a spoon.
– Add the 3 eggs to the mixture and stir the batter with a spoon.
– Line the loaf pan with baking paper.
– Evenly divide the batter into the pan.
– Decorate the top of the bread with the leftover, un-chopped nuts.
– Place the bread in the oven for 45 to 65 minutes (depending on your oven)
Let the bread cool down after baking or have a tasty warm slice!
* Extra tip:
Cut the bread in snack-sized slices and store them in the freezer. Take them with you to work and they will defrost before it is your pre-lunch snack time!